Black and white silver print, 17,2 cm x 23 cm, Private Collection
The Shrine of the Book is a part of the Israel Museum (opened in 1965). The Shrine houses the Dead Sea Scrolls. The scrolls are a set of parchments and pieces of papyrus written mainly in Hebrew. They were discovered between 1947 and 1956 in 11 caves near Qumran. These manuscripts are of considerable importance to the history of the Bible because they are the oldest existing copy of the Old Testament. Its dating is presumed between the 3rd century B.C. and the 1st century A.D.
David HARRIS (1929-2008) is a photographer who is particularly interested in Israeli history and in Jerusalem.